Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Blog #1 Three Lessons I have learnt from Church History

I am not very familiar with anything church history related; therefore I have learnt many things from this class. 1) I’ve learnt so many things when it comes to the Monks. I found their lifestyle quite fascinating. With Christianity being legalized in their time, the desired persecution that comes with serving the Lord was now missing from the faith. The Monks took this into their own hands and created their own version of persecution through poverty, chastity and obedience. It is just so neat that they desired to love the Lord so much that without persecution they felt something was missing. I’m not sure if this is really a good thing or not but yet it is very interesting and I respect them for it. 2) 24/7 prayer was understood all throughout history. The Monks understood the importance of 24/7 prayer, and it lasted for hundred of years in Cluny Abbey in France and Agaunum Monastery in modern day Switzerland. Sometimes I get in my head that IHOP has come up with this brilliant new idea, never been heard before 24/7 prayer and worship, but in all reality it has been established all throughout history. 3) The final thing I have learnt in this class is based on the quote from our first session, “We learn from history, that we learn nothing from history.” This is so true, you would think after all we have been through, that we would have learnt something by now, yet history continues to repeat itself. We must remember the past and learn from it, not just let it happen over and over again. There you have it, the three things I have learnt in this class. Of course you may take credit for teaching me more than three things, but these three have definitely stuck out the most to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment